I would like to thank the Gents for....

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

I would like to thank the Gents for....

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon May 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Firstly, I have to thank Paul for reminding me to start this thread. We'd talked about it quite a bit while he was here, but then we also did a fair bit of drinking. :lol:

Anyway, it struck us that we really owe the Gents a debt of gratitude for so many things that have come as a result of their fabulous work. My list, off the top of my head is as follows:

- The genius telly, film, and stage productions they have given us, even if they have very nearly caused me to sprain my laugh muscle repeatedly.

- Inspiring me to greatness instead of "just okayness" and showing me that while it maybe tough, sometimes a truly intelligent and entertaining program can sneak its way onto the airwaves.

- Making me look cool to all of geek comedian friends by introducing them to the show. :lol:

- THIS FORUM!!! And by extension, all of you beautiful people, many of whom I count amongst my very bestest of friends. I love you all! =schnuggles!=

- England. If I had not met all you lovelies here, I would have made it to Blighty eventually, but the trips would would not have been the wonderful, personal experience that they have been. Without every one of you I've met in the flesh and even stayed with (extra huggles!), my visits would be mostly aimless wandering sprinkled with tourist attractions.

- Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Jess, Edgar, Simon, Nick, etc. I'd never heard of Spaced before the Gents. I watched initially because Reece and Mark were in it, and I fell instantly and permanently in love. (Death to McSpaced!)

- Doctor Who. I had friends badgering me for years and years to watch, and I just couldn't get into it. Knowing that Mark loves it piqued my interest, and then having so many fans here *cough*Paul!*cough* convinced me to give it a proper go. I'm SO glad that I did!

- David Tennant. I wouldn't have heard of him without this forum dedicated to the Gents. :D (Oh how I luff him!)

- Same goes for SO many beloved programs and stars. Quick list-within-list: Black Books (and cast), Green Wing (and cast), Nighty Night (and cast), Life on Mars (and cast), Dancing on Ice, Reeves and Mortimer, Lucas and Walliams, Mitchell and Webb, and gobs and gobs of others, new and old, that I'm probably forgetting.

There's so much more, I know it, but I can't think of it all right now. I have been a Gents fan and a forum member for a relatively short time (a little over four years), but my life has been enriched so very much in that time. And I owe it all to them for starting me down the path. Thank you guys!!!

=BIGGEST, SQUISHIEST MULTI-GENT HUG OF ALL TIME!=

P.S. I'm SO planning on thanking the Gents in my first award acceptance speech, just to confuse everybody. :lol: They'll be sat at home thinking, "Huh? Do we even KNOW her?" :lol:
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon May 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Hah!

I dont know what made me remember the (ever so slightly) drunken conversation myself and Sheila had about this thread, but yay its here. However She seems to have covered the entire A - Z of things to thanks them for!

However I must say

1) This forum, it is full of the nicest people that you could ever hope to communicate with and also, thanks to them I've meet most of you to and the others its just a matter of time. I really regard you as really good friends and couldn't imagine NOT knowing you. You are amongst my fave people ever.

2) In addition to the variety of shows/films etc that I've watched and enjoyed simply because of a League connection, I must thank them for some of the stunning pieces of theatre Ive seen as a result (All about my Mother springs to mind).

3) I went to LA! Had I not come here, I wouldn't have got to know VL, ergo not gone to LA and cemented a really firm friendship with VL and also not seen the great things I did there!

4)The whole social aspect, Im actually a lot more outgoing than I was before I came here and also go out and about much more, so thanks for that.

5)I think VL was right (again) we must thank them for pushing the boundries in quality writing and raising the bar higher.. It kind of makes you less accepting of the really poor quality fayre on offer and makes you look for higher quality writing that doesn't spoonfeed you everything and makes you think.

Thank you sirs!

I will post more as they come to mind! :wink:
Last edited by Son of Tubbs returns! on Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Here here!

Postby alex » Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 pm

I am completely new - but want to expand on the comment about the Gents really working hard never to repeat themselves - or seemingly "sell-out". Think what you like about all their various series - collectively they have striven to change, evolve, get better - and never have they rested on their laurels. They put SO many of their peers to shame. They really do. And I think for those who prefer a little thought to some aspects of their comedy - they are to be cherished and hailed for years to come. They changed comedy. Fact. The look of it, the tone of it, the quality of its acting, in ways that, were they to suddenly arrive on the scene now, they would be heralded SO much more. But the fact is, they did it ALL ten years ago!
alex
Distant Relative

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon May 05, 2008 9:13 pm

Well said that man! :lol:
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon May 05, 2008 9:29 pm

I completely agree! I feel most fortunate to have stumbled across them.
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby MrsBeasley » Tue May 06, 2008 8:03 am

What you all said :lol:

and yeah just to echo the comments about this forum. You guys are the best. Its fab to have met the people I have & look forward to seeing you all again.

I went to Hadfield, wouldn't have done that without the Gents :lol:

And also all those programs/films that the referenced, I've had fun watching them
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tracy » Wed May 07, 2008 11:15 pm

I would like to thank The Gents for...

inspiring me to look for, find, and subsequently explore, this place... I have made so many friends here (REAL friends, not just 'cyber-acquaintances'); I can't imagine not having so many of you in my (REAL) life now... :D

Short and sweet.

A bit like me.

*laughs hard*

But, seriously. If it weren't for The Gents, I wouldn't be so lucky to know (personally) all (most) of you.

*sheds a happy tear*

PS - they still give me the horn. All of them. Together. Bring on the next collaboration! :twisted:
ImageImageImage
Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 am

What a mega thread! And so true. I think I need to echo what everyone else has said really. Without the Gents, I would never have known all you lovely people, let alone met you in "real life", and for that I'm so grateful. I genuinely can't imagine life without you all now. And seriously, this forum is like medicine. It always makes me giggle. If I'm tired or miserable, I read that insane Parteeee thread or "thi is mah Mortal Enemy", and I'm crying with laughter. :lol:

Also have to thank them for...well actually, for being where I am no, in London, and therefore potentially most of the things that will happen in the next four years and beyond. Without them, I wouldn't have got into comedy in such a big way and wanted to go to Lundun to be more involved with it, since that was one of the big reasons to not go to St Andrews and to come here instead. And now I'm here, I seriously doubt that I'll leave. So whilst it's quite abstract, I feel they had a hand in it somewhere. :lol:

Thinking about it, they've a lot to answer for. They pretty much created the obsessive fangirl in me, and they are definitely the first one that I've stuck with for this long. I guess I owe them quite a lot! :wink:

If I were a moth I'd smash myself against your body.
Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Thu May 08, 2008 2:53 pm

I just want to echo what Tracy said. The gents helped me discover true friendship in a way I never experienced even in my school days. Gents fans are generally the most complex and rounded of individuals and I've found a real "meeting of minds" on their fan forums. Without the Gents I would definitely not have had some of the most amazing times over the past eight years. Not only by attending "Gents Events" with other fans but also for connecting me with people who have interests completely outside Gent-Lore (Kids in the Hall, anyone!). As I said... A meeting of minds!

Regarding the Gent's works themselves, even though I am a comedy geek-ette, I still hold up "On The Town" as one of the finest pieces of british radio comedy that has ever been made. A classic. I can't imagine life without it.
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu May 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Must SAY again, thanks for all you brilliant friends I've made on here, and you aren't just superficial friends ,I count you as REAL friends who I really want to hang with and care a great deal about..Just so you know! :wink:
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Thu May 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Just want to echo what everyone has said here so far...

Without the Gents I would never have found and kept the friends I have - its just great to have like minded people to share interests & enthusiasms.

They've helped built the foundations for real, lasting friendships!

It proves that The League's creativity has a real legacy behind it - such quality means it is built to last. Their unsurpassed work has given them a real fan base - all eagar to follow and support whatever they decide to do next...

Their unique brilliance remains undimmed after more than a decade!
Have we missed the cakes?
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Voodoo Lady » Thu May 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Oh dear me! How could I have forgotten to mention On the Town? Bad fan! =smacks bottom=

=more huggles to Gents for radio brilliance=
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Matt Adore » Thu May 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Gent's just look what you did, lust everywhere! :shock:

You are extremely talented Gentlemen with an uncanny insight into what makes people laugh and what makes a sketch funny. You can take the darkest situations and make them amusing and that is clever.

Damn you all for being so attractive though! :evil:
Wish you were her
Matt Adore
Local Shop Owner!

Postby miss denton » Thu May 08, 2008 8:16 pm

I echo everything said in this thread. The gents still are the greatest :D It shows in their work how talented and hard working they are.Without the gents their wouldn't be this forum. On this forum i heard about the penny dreadfuls and now i am going to meet some of you lovely people at the faversham picnic! :P
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby ratgirl » Mon May 12, 2008 1:35 pm

a1tiptop wrote: Without the Gents I would definitely not have had some of the most amazing times over the past eight years.

Eight years? Has it really been that long?? :shock:

But yes, without the Gents there are so many experiences I wouldn't have had. In fact, when I got into the League of Gentlemen, I was such a different person I find it hard to imagine it now. I was cripplingly shy, miserable at work and in a miserable relationship, but all my friends were my fiance's friends, so I felt I didn't really have a life outside it. It's funny how people are disparaging about forums, and the geekiness of the whole fan thing, and not deeming friendships begun online as "real"... The Gents have given me a life, dammit!

Now I'm just sat here going through various memories... picnic in Hyde Park, the 99p Challenge, Little Britain radio recordings, the nail file of Asmadae, HLA, Husbands, mong faces, wrist-licking in the park... too, too many of them!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Next

Return to Local Gossip