Mark's book - it's fantastic! SPOILERS!

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:13 pm

I'm definately up for it, hangover or no hangover :D.
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

Local_One
A Local

Post by Local_One » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:27 pm

cool thanks for the date and link for the site i'll have to check it out :) . Me and a mate ( not registered on this forum but loves all things League of Gentlemen ) have been writing our own script for a comedy series and since meeting Mark after the last tour and at signings and stuff he seems like a really nice guy , so i was wondering what peoples advice would be on whether we should ask for his opinion on the script with a synopsis and stuff attatched so he knows what it's about just so we could perhaps get his opinion and if we're really lucky some advice.What we wrote is a bit League-ish it's definetly not trying to be the The League of Gentlemen but is very dark and based loosely on experiences whilst at college . I also think Mark probably has the sickest sense of humour out of The Gents which would help and we've already asked Rik Mayall - who said he'd be delighted to read it so we've passed it onto him.
Just not sure how to go about asking Mark 'coz if we did get the chance to ask him this year it would probably be at a booksigning however he's one of our heroes so don't really want to let the opportunity go by...
"I've just come over a little queer"
"Ah yes, all come in my faceful"
"It's just a big bloody joke to you isnt it!"
"He's a very dangerous man he'll shit on you and set you on fire"
"Give me that you cycle of shit!"

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:54 am

Maybe writting to pbj or something? Or maybe, like you say, meet him at a signing. Wow at getting the mighty Rik Mayall to read though Good luck with it
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

Local_One
A Local

Post by Local_One » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:05 pm

cheers ! yeah we were well pleased because he even asked for our phone number and address so he could get in contact so i was going back to work saying " yeh Rik Mayall's got my number" lol , just fingers crossed he does read it , i heard his memory isn't too good after the quadbike accident.
Yeah i was thinking we should give it to Mark at a booksigning if he does one for this next book because then we know he's definetly got it but i'm just not sure how to give it to him without sounding cheeky or a bit random lol
"I've just come over a little queer"
"Ah yes, all come in my faceful"
"It's just a big bloody joke to you isnt it!"
"He's a very dangerous man he'll shit on you and set you on fire"
"Give me that you cycle of shit!"

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:45 pm

As the title of this thread says - Mark's book - It's fantastic!

So shall we use this thread to discuss spoilery gubbins about The Devil In Amber?
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:35 pm

I need to get hold of a copy! :(
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:32 pm

I didn't even realise until this morning that Mark had a new book out, when I saw it in the window of Borders!

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:28 pm

OK, so my first anal question to you is

How old is Lucy supposed to be in Devil? We know Charlie was with him 10 years (says in Devil) until 1917. This puts their meeting and the events in Vesuvius to 1907. Now I don't know about you but I absolutely thought that Vesuvius was set early at the turn of the century, ie 1902/3. Well, ok, so Mark's probably rewritten history because Lucifer would be too old otherwise.

Presumably Lucy was in his twenties in Vesuvius. So if we say that Devil is set the Christmas after the Chrystler building (finished in 1930). So from 1907-1930 is 23 years. So if Lucy was, say, 25 in 1907, he'd still be 47 in Devil. He mentions that he's greying at the temples but still gorgeous. Is this just vanity? Or is he in his early 40s and was actually much younger in Vesuvius Club?

Hmmmmm. Why do I obsess? ;)

My second question is: Do you think Mark knew how popular Charlie was with his readers? And put in the "unfinished buisness" in just for effect? Was it calculated, do you think? This is something I'd like to ask him at a signing or something. Did the gravestone effect anyone else as much as it did me? I *actually* cried!!!

Not Quite Local
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Not Quite Local » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:15 pm

So if Lucy was, say, 25 in 1907, he'd still be 47 in Devil. He mentions that he's greying at the temples but still gorgeous. Is this just vanity?
Well, my dad is 50 and only just greying at the temples. I wouldn't say he was gorgeous (obviously, he's my dad lol) but he doesn't look 50, when I told one of my friends he was, she was really suprised, she thought he was around 40 at most. So maybe Lucifer doesn't age much.

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:35 am

Well, Tony Head is 52. So do we reckon Lucifer is in his late 40s in the book then?

Edit: Mark clears up the argument! Damn him...

http://www.vesuviusclub.com/TheDevilInA ... rview1.htm

MrsShearsmith
Local Shop Owner!

Post by MrsShearsmith » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:00 pm

Right this may sound stupid but I have a really bad memory so I need someone to help me. I have a basic plot for the film but I need a list of MAIN characters and little descriptions of them for a media studies project. Can anyone help me? I need it tonigh if possible, thaaanks xx
"I do many things, I span the genres. They call me the Genre Spanner"

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:01 am

Erm, what film?

cupid stunt
Local Shop Owner!

Post by cupid stunt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:00 am

Thanks for the link! :)

I finished reading The Devil in Amber yesterday, and I enjoyed it very much (so much that I could barely put it down). Is it just me or did anyone else find TDIA to be slightly better than VC? I felt that it was more thorough and complete, and had a better flow than VC which jumped a bit from place to place. TDIA was definitely darker and more horror-influenced. My only complaint would be that the ending was a bit short and sudden, but at least it was a happy ending! Overall, I was quite impressed by it. Mark definitely is a talented writer! It'll be very interesting to see where he takes Lucifer next...

As for Charlie Jackpot... must admit that that part did make me a bit misty-eyed. Though from what was said it didn't seem definite that Charlie was actually dead, and it could be that he was just missing (forever...). But who knows... it was definitely a sad ending for Charlifer. :(

And to those of you going to the Foyles event, could any of you please ask if there are any plans to turn the books into films or series? They're such visual books, and I think most would agree that they would work quite nicely on screen.

I have a lot of things to say about the book, but I think I'll have another read-through before adding anything else. Anyone else want to share their opinions and thoughts?

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:37 am

cupid stunt wrote:I finished reading The Devil in Amber yesterday, and I enjoyed it very much (so much that I could barely put it down). Is it just me or did anyone else find TDIA to be slightly better than VC? I felt that it was more thorough and complete, and had a better flow than VC which jumped a bit from place to place. TDIA was definitely darker and more horror-influenced. My only complaint would be that the ending was a bit short and sudden, but at least it was a happy ending! Overall, I was quite impressed by it. Mark definitely is a talented writer! It'll be very interesting to see where he takes Lucifer next...
I'm not sure, I don't think I can judge quite yet, not having read Devil as many times as I've read VC. I think I just prefer the era that VC is set in. Don't get me wrong, I love Devil, and I do agree with a lot of what you say about VC jumping around, but at the moment I think I prefer VC.

I totally agree with you about the ending. It was annoyingly abrupt! I was really expecting something more in the way of a conclusion.
As for Charlie Jackpot... must admit that that part did make me a bit misty-eyed. Though from what was said it didn't seem definite that Charlie was actually dead, and it could be that he was just missing (forever...). But who knows... it was definitely a sad ending for Charlifer. :(
I was confused by the whole "his body was never found" thing actually. If he was just missing, surely in the 20 years or more since his disappearance, he would have gone back to England and found Lucifer again! After all, he hasn't moved. And I'm sure that even if Charlie walked (and swum!), in 20 years he'd have made it to Blighty!

But anyway, I wasn't just misty-eyed at the gravestone, I cried! I even cried at the brief mention of Charlie in chapter 11. AND the bit where Lucifer says "except 'I love you'". Perhaps it's just hormones? ;)
And to those of you going to the Foyles event, could any of you please ask if there are any plans to turn the books into films or series? They're such visual books, and I think most would agree that they would work quite nicely on screen.
This is exactly what we did ask last time at the VC event. Mark seemed keen but there weren't any plans back then. Another graphic novel would be nice.

I wonder if Mark will do a deal to make Devil into a film? It's even more cinematic than VC in my opinion.
I have a lot of things to say about the book, but I think I'll have another read-through before adding anything else. Anyone else want to share their opinions and thoughts?
Please please post thoughts! I haven't had anyone else to obsess with so far.

Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tracy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Finally got my mitts on a copy of this yesterday. Will hopefully read over the weekend. Yay! :D
ImageImageImage