Monty Python

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Localhobbit

Post by Localhobbit » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 pm

I didn't know they even had comedy in Finland, owing to their legendary shyness ;)

innocence, how is Do Not Adjust Your Set? I keep meaning to pick it up.

Maybe someone could help, even though I have the complete Python I have yet to run across a favorite sketch of mine, the Germans vs. the Greeks (philosophers) in a soccer match, an absolute scream, Karl Marx is a surprise substitution for the germans, does anyone know which episode that's in?

eskewedbeef!!!
Local Shop Owner!
Location: Sitting at a computer in one of the most boring towns in the North

Post by eskewedbeef!!! » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 pm

innocence wrote:I have got...
* all of the movies on DVD
* Best of Flying Circus/Live at Aspen on DVD
* Do Not Adjust Your Set on DVD
* Monty Python Live at Drury Lane on my p.c

... that's it :lol:. But there are a few Python-related things on my Christmas list such as their autobiography and At Last the 1948 Show. :D
and you'll get Life of Brian CD on next Friday :wink:

Don't worry innocence, we WILL get the complete box set!!

Dammit, even if we have to go to America to get it!!
"Then the highlight was a stoat rigor mortis..."

ImageImage

innocence
A Local

Post by innocence » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Localhobbit wrote:innocence, how is Do Not Adjust Your Set? I keep meaning to pick it up.
I personally really like it! It's very similar to Python in it's humour (seeming as it was written by three of them), and I thoroughly enjoy watching it. It's much better than modern day kids' shows, I tell ya that! :wink:

I did a Google trawl yesterday and found no signs of a possible release of the complete boxset... but I've got to try and stay positive!

Aino
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Aino » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:31 pm

Localhobbit wrote:I didn't know they even had comedy in Finland, owing to their legendary shyness ;)
Gee, thanks... :wink: But it's partly true. I only have two friends who like British comedy and Python. They're the only ones with whom I can talk about these things.

My cousin introduced me to Monty Python. She showed me Life of Brian. I was quite young at the time, so obviously I didn't get all the jokes. But fortunately I re-discovered them about three years ago.
Maybe someone could help, even though I have the complete Python I have yet to run across a favorite sketch of mine, the Germans vs. the Greeks (philosophers) in a soccer match, an absolute scream, Karl Marx is a surprise substitution for the germans, does anyone know which episode that's in?
That sketch is not in any of the Flying circus episodes. It was originally in the second German episode (Fliegender Zirkus). And it's also shown in the Monty Python Live at Hollywood Bowl. But if you have the complete Flying Circus box set, you should find that sketch in the extras. I can't remember which disc it is on.

Localhobbit

Post by Localhobbit » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Aino, thanks for the info regarding the philosophers soccer match, I've been pulling my hair out trying to find it, well, maybe the hair out of my back anyway.
I'll have to look for it in the extras, it's an alltime fave of mine. Do they have good beer in Finland?

What's this about the box set not being available? Where? I've had it here in Yankland for 6 months or more.

*Edited into one post by mod*

Aino
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Aino » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:34 pm

Localhobbit wrote:Aino, thanks for the info regarding the philosophers soccer match, I've been pulling my hair out trying to find it, well, maybe the hair out of my back anyway.
I'll have to look for it in the extras, it's an alltime fave of mine. Do they have good beer in Finland?
Glad that I could help. :)

Um... good beer? I wouldn't know, I'm not really a drinker. :D

innocence
A Local

Post by innocence » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:58 pm

Right, because I'm bloody desperate, I'm taking this into consideration. Seeming as I don't speak Finnish, I can't order a region 0 set like Aino did, so I'm thinking about buying them individually from here. No apparent extra DVDs... argh, this is frustrating! No signs of a region 2 release or it being on TV some time soon! Argh!!! *rips out hair*

What do you think... should I wait?
Image Image

innocence
A Local

Post by innocence » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:07 pm

Just thought I'd say for all you UK peeps that Paramount 2 are showing lerds of FC over Christmas!

Looky here

:D
Image Image

Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Stonesy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:16 pm

And the whole thing is coming out on DVD that *I* can buy next year.
Hurrah.
*Throws hat into air*

eskewedbeef!!!
Local Shop Owner!
Location: Sitting at a computer in one of the most boring towns in the North

Post by eskewedbeef!!! » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:21 pm

Where do you live? Me and Innocence are literally *dying* for it to come out in the UK.
"Then the highlight was a stoat rigor mortis..."

ImageImage

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:47 pm

Ooh! Thanks for that, Innocence! I will defintely be watching! :D
Image Image

owandoove

Post by owandoove » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:59 pm

Oh i love Monty Python! Silly walks is great, so is the uhm, twit competition or something-i loved that!

Holy Grail is my fave MP film, but Life of Brian was really good too :)

I love Michael Palin :D ooh ooh! the lumberjack song! When he's the hairdresser that hates cutting peoples hair, he reminds me of reece a bit.

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:43 pm

owandoove wrote:hairdresser that hates cutting peoples hair, he reminds me of reece a bit.
Pfft! In Reece's dreams! :wink:

[prepares for insane onslaught of Reece fangirls]

Oh c'mon! You KNOW Palin is GOD in comparison to the little Shearsmiths!
No...?

Shit.

[starts running]
Image Image

innocence
A Local

Post by innocence » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:02 pm

Bex wrote:[Oh c'mon! You KNOW Palin is GOD in comparison to the little Shearsmiths!
No...?

Shit.
*slowly points to sig* I agree... Michael is my definately my favourite Python, and not just for the obvious reasons... he is the best actor out of all of them.

I'm sooo going to be taping all the eps shown soon. Shame I don't have a DVD recorder... I hate VHS with a passion!
Image Image

owandoove

Post by owandoove » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:27 pm

Yeah Michael Palin is definitely my fave Monty Python ( :lol: ), he's one of the most energetic out of them (Cleese also); i like the funny little leg jigs he does. Like in the Life of Brian, when he's the rather bouncy cured leper.

He's adorable in The Holy Grail...throughout :wink: aww shucks, he's adorable all the time!