Henry and Ally's Video Vault II

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Henry and Ally's Video Vault II

Post by Beast » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Your dad sounds cool!
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:49 pm

District 9. It's good but I wasn't blown away. And I have major problems with the plot. Spoilers!:

There is no way your DNA can change you into aother species entirely. Especially not one half of your body first! Ridiculous.

Why would the black juice that facilitated the change above then also be the fuel for the spaceship or whatever?

It was obviously set up for a sequel. Also I began to feel very ill during it. Now whether that was a combination of the shakey camera-work and Wikus looking ill or my virus thing and a bit of a hangover I don't know but it was not enjoyable. At one point I really thought I might have to go to the toilet to be sick! Shakey cameras always make me feel a bit sick but that was extreme. If it weren't for that I would enjoy that style. Some of it did not make sense in that format though. Was someone supposed to be following Wikus while he was on the run? Not the helicopters - up close? No cos he was on the run and they didn't know where he was! On the plus side Sharlto was genius and very loveable.

MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by MrsBeasley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:10 pm

I did enjoy Drag Me To Hell but agree with the mouth ewww. Too much.

I found Paranormal Activity very predictable. Had some good moments but ultimately disappointing.
"I don't know that I share your view"

girl
Local Shop Owner!

Post by girl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:35 pm

I watched Sherlock Holmes not too long ago and I loved it. Loved it with a capital Love heart. It was witty and clever and and and...Go see it!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:36 pm

I went to see Sherlock Holmes last weekend, and I quite enjoyed it too. This was probably partly because I was determined not to expect too much and be finicky over detail, though I did say beforehand that the one thing I wouldn't forgive was an unshaven Holmes (a man who can magically be clean-shaven when camping out on Dartmoor)... and he spent the entire bloody film being unshaven! At least that meant I simply had to get over it quickly or walk out of the cinema. ;) Anyway, I thought they dealt with the obligatory-these-days love story fairly well so that it wasn't too intrusive or un-Holmes-ian (though I prefer the way Billy Wilder dealt with it in Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, cos Holmes is colder and cooler).

I thought the boxing sections were really good, and an aspect which is rarely brought out, though a part of Holmes I love (especially in the Solitary Cyclist where he's all excessively cheerful after getting into a fight and goes a bit braggy: "The next few minutes were delicious. It was a straight left against a slogging ruffian. I emerged as you see me. Mr. Woodley went home in a cart."). And I really liked the Holmes-Watson interplay - I love it when Holmes manipulates Watson, which he does rather frequently. Jude Law was quite good as Watson, but I couldn't quite believe Robert Downey Jnr was Holmes. There were, however, aspects of it that reminded me how much I love Holmes. And, all in all, it was a good, fun adventure story.

Victorian London looked lovely too.
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by DevilWalksInTheSand » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

I thought Sherlock holmes was a great way to spend an hour and half, nothing too taxing and just lots of fun.....obviously i'm not a holmes purist so I don't know the ins and outs of the character himself, but very enjoyable all the same. I was gonna spend a few paragraphs bumming Avatar but I got distracted by The A Team movie trailer again.....if you haven't seen it go youtube it right now!!! Me and the mighty viper have been discussing it at length via twitter (obv not just perving on sharlto and bradley....nope not us!) :wink:
Image Image

serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Post by serafina pekkala » Sun May 02, 2010 1:57 am

Four Lions looks fracking hilarious. The trailer had me in stitches - especially the Saxon style face shaking. I shall not look at crows in the same way. Why is the word 'crow' funnier in a Sheffield accent?

"I don't need some tramp up a mountain telling me how to light a fuse!"

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Aw, dammit, that's so gutting that scene was cut! I'll be scanning the screen for very red hair at the end, though... :)

Off to see Four Lions tomorrow. Can't wait to see new Chris Morris stuff! Iron Man's next on the list...
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Brilliant! So glad you've had an opportunity to enjoy the sheer wonder of it! I was just saying to Katie the other day that now every time I see a picture or footage of the Golden Gate Bridge, I just want to start with the "Go! Go! Go!" or "Meanwhile, back in San Francisco." Which is sometimes embarrassing.

I can't believe you went out with Peter! That's utterly, utterly brilliant! :D

I want the DVD too, how excited am I that there's EXTRAS?!? Hadn't even thought about that wondrous possibility! At one point it said on the website that Tommy would sign every copy purchased. I wonder if he still does. I guess it probably doesn't keep him that busy... ;)

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Sheila, that's brilliant! I'm impressed you lasted so long without bursting out laughing. I don't think I could manage (however, I am wondering who I can employ to join me in trying the same thing on my sister)

:lol:

Personally, I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim, as a pure escapist bit of fun. I wasn't really expecting it to be that much more, to be honest, and I've not read the comics, so probably made it easier for me to just go "ooh, cool!" at some of the effects. I quite liked Scott, but the main girl was pretty boring, I agree with you. Knives was much better, I was rather fond of her. And I agree about Keiran Culkin's lusting! :D

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Katie, you will probably have gathered this from my Facebook and excited post-midnight texts, but I really loved Human Centipede! Every Gents fan should watch it! :D

There were only about 10 people in the cinema, and the screening was really late (didn't start till after 10pm). But people clapped at the end!

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:32 pm

Why would you say gents fans should watch? Because it's dark?

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 pm

In honour of the the 25th Anniversary od 'Back to the Future', I have sat and watched all thre films back to back and and even after all this time, I still love them to bits! Pus I suspect I'm the only person ever who LOVES the third one?!!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 pm

I was in such a bad mood... then I clicked on that link and now I'm not! Why did I stay away from the forum so long?? :D

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:38 pm

I went to see Burke and Hare on saturday, and to be honest,I wasn't expecting much mainly due to the poor reviews. We loved it. we laughed all the way through! It was really funny with some real laugh out loud moments, fantastically filmed and as you would expect, really black, plus it was like a who's who of british comedy. Plus it had passed me by that Reece was in the film, so that was a nice surprise! If you haven't seen. it, I'd recommend it to any LoG fan, it's right up our street!