Henry and Ally's Video Vault II

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Henry and Ally's Video Vault II

Postby Papa's new wife » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:00 am

I've just been to see Sweeny Todd.
I... um... *hides* I didn't like it.

Yes the costumes and hair were gorgeous, as were Depp and Bonham-Carter, but... FAR too many songs, and they were pretty rubbish to be honest.
One of the trailers before hand was for Coca Cola and that had a song from Bugsy Malone at the end, now THAT'S a proper musical song.

I didn't care for the daughter, or the Sailor boy. I didn't find it particularly funny, only the quite frankly ludicrous trouser bulges (YES I mean YOU Rickman and Borat!) made me laugh throughout.

I do now want to rediscover my half forgotten Goth and dance about with insane hair and even more eye make-up than I already wear.

I guess I'm just allergic to 95% of musicals :(

(And the fact that the trailer for Doctor Who just destroyed my brain before hand REALLY didn't help. I found myself daydreaming about Tenninch for good chunks of the film. Oooops.
And they showed a trailer for The Cottage as well, which... well, still don't want to see. Bum)
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby DevilWalksInTheSand » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 am

Aww so sorry you didn't like it Kate, i still really liked it, yes i agree that there were a few too many songs but the brill acting and the stunning visuals more than made up for it for me. Ah well you can't win them all.

Going to see cloverfield tonight......*excited!* :D
Image Image
DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Don't forget your sick bucket! ;)

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby ChubbyTubby » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:48 pm

I loved Sweeney, though they kept building up to the slashing and I'd be going "yes :)... YES... YES COME ON SWEENEY :D!!!... OH GOD ON..." and then someone would walk in the door and I'd shout "NO *beep* NO YOU WERE SO CLOSE :x "

Maybe this is Depp/Bonham-Carter/Burton bias as I'm a teenager, but I loved it :lol:

Some of the songs were very naff, but it's a musical, there's bound to be some dud songs. Rickman was sexy 8)
ChubbyTubby
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:51 pm

Yes, I loved it too, visually it was impressive and the songs were fine,when you remember it was more of an operetta in the style of Gilbert and Sullivan rather than an actual musical.

Plus Depp is NEVER bad in anything in my opinion and Tim Burton is genuis.

Plus I found it very darkly funny!
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Viper » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:24 pm

only the quite frankly ludicrous trouser bulges (YES I mean YOU Rickman and Borat!)

You're...you're complaining about trouser bulges? Oh God I never complain about bulges. It's all just fire for my imagination. And you say Alan Rickman has a ludicrous trouser bulge?

Ah, that hits the spot.

Oh, and seen Cloverfield. Loved it. It's the way forward, or something. Also, THAT's how you use ideas from the movie Alien in your film! Take note, rubbish makers of things like Alien VS Predator.

Just seen The Nines on region 1 DVD too, which was totally, totally awesome! It made Melissa McCarthy the "favourite"! It had Ryan Reynolds abusing himself! It actually all made sense in the end!

Am now eagerly awaiting Definitely, Maybe, because Ryan Reynolds is a God among men and should be worshipped as such, even when in a romcom.
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/
Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 pm

Oh I LIKED the bulges, they kept me laughing. Mike and I were almost in hysterics at them, I think we annoyed the people behind us.
And Yes, Rickman's trousers are something that everyone needs to see :lol:

I'm hoping to go to see Cloverfield next tuesday, looks like mighty good fun.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby DevilWalksInTheSand » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:35 pm

I was MASSIVLEY dissapointed with cloverfield....i know some of you have said you loved it even my best friend loved it, i however just felt it lacked something. It was a fantastic idea having it all on handheld camera and it did add to the tension, but i dunno i just wasn't feeling it.....brilliant special effects though. I don't think i liked any of the characters, maybe it was that what put me off. I dunno.....make up your own mind and go see it though, cos its obviously a film thats dividing the masses.
Image Image
DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 am

What part does Rickman play in ST? I have a soft spot for him. I didn't know he was in it. I should probably see it cos I do like Burton/Depp films. Johnny Depp continues to prove to be the best actor of his generation I think and one day he'll be honoured properly.
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby DevilWalksInTheSand » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:45 am

Alan Rickman plays Judge Turpin Beast! :D
Image Image
DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm no nearer cos I don't know the story. (So why did I ask?!) I'm guessing that's a judge! :lol: Just ignore me.
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:26 pm

I pretty much agree with Kate actually. I WANTED to like it, but there was something more style than substance about Sweeney Todd. It's not the songs, as I love the musical done "live". I just don't think Depp and Bonam-Carter are very good singers!

Oh, and how DARE THEY miss out the Balad of Hillary Briss- ahem, I mean Sweeney Todd??? That's the BEST song of the film! And the Gents connection! Although I guess the gents used "My Friends" as well, didn't they?
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm totally in agreement - the look of the movie was stunning and there were parts that made me giggle but the songs were a bit too dreary to keep you interested. And if I heard that large foreheaded lad sing 'JJOOOoooaannnnnnaaa - I feeeeel yooooouuuu one' I was going to slit his frigging throat. There were certain parts when HBC was singing that I could barely make out what she was saying.
Looked cool though.
Can't wait to see Cloverfield now it has the Viper seal as I was worrying that it was going to be Blair Witch all over again.
Also Jumper is rocking my boat at the minute. Can't wait for it either.
Ax
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:47 pm

I didn't know where to post this (Chit Chat maybe?) but feck it. I am so mad at the BAFTAs. Where were the Hot Fuzz nominations? (In a bit of a HF place at the mo!) Surely the BAFTAs, concentrating on British films, are the only major awards where it has a chance of winning apart from the populist ones where the public actually vote. And yet it totally ignored the best British film out this film year - not that I've seen any others :lol: but it must be! There was a 1 second clip in a montage of films out this year and no nominations. I hate how comedies are ignored. They are no less worthy than dramas! Why is it always the serious films that get the prestige?! An amazing British film like this and it isn't honoured. I think it's a travesty. This is what British films should be about. It's such a quality piece of work. The intelligent plotline, great acting and, although I admit I know nothing about directing, Edgar seems a top-class sophisticated director to me. Did you see him in the audience? He should have been crying into his seat at the lack of notice his film got.

And relax. :lol:
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby DevilWalksInTheSand » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Just been to see Juno tonight, absolutely adored it! Such a genuine and sweet and funny film. I seriously can't say enough good things about it.
Image Image
DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Next

Return to General Chat