Television: Good, Bad, whatever, discuss II:

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Television: Good, Bad, whatever, discuss II:

Postby Jade Webster » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 pm

The Widower!
Jade Webster
Outsider

Postby ratgirl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:30 pm

I enjoyed that! Though my other half spent several weeks afterwards offering me suspicious cups of tea... :D

Did anyone watch Reece in that thing that had everyone out of Doctor Who in it? *googles quickly* 'Chasing Shadows'?
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 am

Didn't get to watch The Widower, sadly. Hopefully it'll cross the pond on a raft made of DVD.

Supernatural: It's taken me, what, ten seasons? I get it. I get the Dean love. I don't know why it's taken me this long, but then my SPN journey has been a slow-burn situation all the way along. I mean, I binged watched the first six seasons or so, all the while scoffing, mocking it, and thinking, "I don't know why everyone freaks out about this show. Wait, how is it bedtime already?! Well, just one more episode...or two...." It wasn't until the start of last season, if memory serves, when I felt myself go all giggly at the idea of it starting back up. And yet the lusting aspect completely eluded me.

But now...the eyes. Won't give spoilers, but gods, his eyes! I get it now. I get it completely. Slow but steady brings VL to the Dean love party. =sigh=

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby ratgirl » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:42 am

I really tried to get into Supernatural. Managed about five episodes and just got frustrated by the stupid plots and, worse, the current of misogyny that seems to run through the entire thing. And I thought Moffat hated women!!

Kate said I shouldn't have bothered with the first few seasons. Maybe I'll try again some day and start from season 4 or something!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:26 pm

The first season isn't great. I did something similar to you, although I think I got through a lot more episodes before pushing it aside and declaring it to be terrible. I only picked it up again years later because Katie and Astrid (and others) loved it so very much. I figured there had to be something to it.

Yeah, there is a lot of misogyny, particularly at first, but that's tempered with time. Dean is a misogynistic *beep*, but I don't feel like the show sends the message that that's the right way to be. It's more a case of saying, "Look, this person's views on women are backward and wrong." He's even made a joke of because of it, and he's definitely an exception. I think the powers that be realized early on that women made up a HUGE part of their fan base, and tweaked things accordingly. There are and have been loads of strong female characters now, and they're not all beach babes.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:44 am

MWAHA HAHAH AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I KNEW IT!
I knew he'd get you, you can't resist it.
*Laughs to self*

I'd say watch from series 3, that is when I knew I was completely hooked and would always love it.

Oh God I love it SO much. (Yes I am a bit drunk but I think Cas has written things on my ribs in enochian and I can't help it.)
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:58 pm

I lasted one and a half episodes of Constantine but I couldn't take anymore.
In pronouncing the main characters name incorrectly (it rhymes with Valentine FFS!) it started badly and sadly never got any better.
The actors accent is simply dire. Its so awful that its distracting and ends in me yelling the sentence back at the screen in a much better Scouse accent. In the first episode there is a group therapy session and one of the attendees has a far far better Scouse accenty, so much so that they should have cast him.
The first episode was so dull :( The Hellblazer comics are SO brilliant, so many dark and twisted stories and ideas, but the episode didn't come anywhere near that level of writing.

I thought I'd try the next episode in case it got better. It didn't.
Constantine looks like Gordon Ramsey and he took his top off and I turned the episode off.

Just no.

:cry:
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:28 am

I was going to give Constantine a chance, but after I read the above, I decided not to waste my time. :/

In vastly different TV news, it was probably a mistake for me to binge watch The Missing followed by binge watching Broadchurch. Eyes leaking lots. Plus, I am occasionally confusing certain characters from one show with characters from the other. Still, I'm highly tempted to go for the trifecta: Gracepoint episodes are still available on Hulu.

EDIT:

Ugh. So far it's shot for shot, line for line almost exactly the same. I read articles that said it was substantially different so that fans of Broadchurch could still enjoy Gracepoint, but thus far it's so incredibly samey that it feels like a pale imitation of the original. In fairness (and because there's bugger all else to watch), I'll continue to give it a try, but if there's not anything new and interesting in episode 1, I can't see myself continuing on.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:31 pm

Gracepoint update:

Yet again I keep seeing it on Top 10 lists for this year's best programming, and I keep hearing that it's different from Broadchurch, so I gave it another go last night, and now I'm hooked. :D I'm only two episodes in, and most of the differences start out subtle, but I could see them potentially rippling out for the remainder of the show and becoming big changes. And because I've heard it's a slightly different story, I am right back to being wrapped up in the whodunnitness of it all. So I say give it a shot, and just hang in there for the first half of episode 1.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Previous

Return to General Chat