A Victorian Christmas in London (Locations Meet)

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

A Victorian Christmas in London (Locations Meet)

Postby ratgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:11 pm

Well, I figured that it made sense to start a new thread for this, since it doesn't really have anything to do with the topic of "July Hadfield Meet", and might be easier to get dates sorted and things like that. Anyway, how do people feel about the first weekend in December?

Basically, I'd quite like to get some kind of date sorted, because then I can try and contact the places that aren't open to the public, in the hope of getting in! Cos I really want to, and this is a good excuse. Might also add Clerkenwell House of Detention to the list, although that's a a bit of a random location from the UK Play Links, but hey, it's cool! :D

Anyway, here's the list again, just for the hell of it:

Leighton House - Gorgeous tiles imported from the Middle East by Leighton in the 19th century, real harem window, sheer opulent 19th century indulgence... oh, and the interior of Majolica's house.

St Bartholomew The Great Church - Lovely gothic church with the only oriel window in London... and where Herr Lipp taught the boys in the Queer.

St Barts Hospital - That nice pillared bit that's the front of Majolica's House (next to what's apparently the most popular men's toilets for cottaging in London. Snigger)

Kensal Green Cemetary - Graves from the Christmas Special. And also where the horse gallops up the middle of the cemetary in Theatre Of Blood. And I think it's in The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes as well, right? Lovely place.

Old Operating Theatre - As Tara says, may be closed by then. Although we're now wondering if this re-roofing business will take place any time this year! If it IS open, then it is of course the best museum in all of London - Victorian operating theatre, attic of 18th century church, spiral staircase etc.etc. And just down the road is both outside the window of Majolica's House (a three location house! Very posh...), and also where the circus disaster happens at the end.

Not quite fitting in with the Victorian theme, there's also of course locations in Camden (though the bakers doesn't exist), and now Soho Square with the film.

Also, places I've never been: Chinnery's veterinary surgery at the end (is it Hackney Town Hall, or am I making that up?), inside Purblind's (Princelet Street - am wondering if maybe they would be amenable to letting us in briefly though...? I SO want to go there!) and Herr Lipp's house, which is in Wembley, so miles out of the way and requiring a car to get to.
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Judee Levinson » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:13 pm

I am definately up for that! It will be like an early birthday present for me. I'm actually getting quite excited now!
ImageImage
Judee Levinson
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Frolicing in the park with Pierre, throwing Flip flops in a haphazard fashion

Postby Papa's Book Of Wives » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:15 pm

all sounds brilliant to me :D Ah Sarah you surpise me that you've not been to Chinnery's surgery yet, i thought you'd of gone and rubbed yourself against things :wink: but is there a reason for not going?
First weekend of December sounds fine to me. But am still puzzled over who i should dress as..are we dressing up? :shock: or have i dreamt that?

sway x

Can you ride a sheep?
Papa's Book Of Wives
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Judee Levinson » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:17 pm

well, I'm defo dressing up! Is this the christmas special/ vc theme, or just victorian?
ImageImage
Judee Levinson
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Frolicing in the park with Pierre, throwing Flip flops in a haphazard fashion

Postby T Bird » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:17 pm

I would be interested if people don't mind me coming along!

I'd love to check all of those places out! :D
ImageImage
T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby stage door jenny » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:28 pm

ooh me me me!!!
*gets stupidly excited*
Is that the weekend we go to the Gents at Hammersmith as well ?
SDJ
stage door jenny
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Tubbs get undressed » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:45 pm

*does a little dance* Sounds great!
Is that why i have to wash my face with a potato?

Kind of like a .. David .. Brown.

Tubbs get undressed
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Holding Ross hostage at the Job Centre.. ah sellotape has so many uses

Postby Bex » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:57 pm

I can wear my new coat! :D

Sorry, am rather excited about it. ;)

Thanks Sarah, for all this info, you are a legend! Can't wait to see Ripper spots. Wheee.
Image Image
Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:23 pm

Papa's Book Of Wives wrote:all sounds brilliant to me :D Ah Sarah you surpise me that you've not been to Chinnery's surgery yet, i thought you'd of gone and rubbed yourself against things :wink:

Heh, plenty of time for all that! :D It was actually the one place we never found, but I think it was then mentioned on the commentary or something as to where it was? I can't remember - ages since I've listened to anything like that.

And yeah, that's the weekend after Gents do Hammersmith. Thought it'd be quite good as people would be around. Gonna check Linzi can make it, cos I promised her I'd arrange some time she can do, but since she's coming to Hammersmith on the Friday...?

And T-Bird, 'course you're welcome. :) :)
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby T Bird » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:27 pm

Thanks Ratgirl! I am going to Hammersmith to see the Gents that weekend as well so it will be a weekend of Gent-a-plenty! :D
ImageImage
T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:30 pm

Which day are you going? There's a load of us going on the Friday.

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby T Bird » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm going on the Thursday night. I thought I'd get better seats by choosing a weekday rather than a weekend.
Shame though cos quite a few of you lot are going on the Friday/Saturday.
ImageImage
T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby jessie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:45 pm

Ooo! I'm going to Hammersmith on the Saturday....

Please can I come on this exciting little trip? :D
ImageImage
jessie
Local Shop Owner!

Location: Underneath the Laurence Llewelyn Bowen memorial patio!

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Yeah i am up for it. Can't do the sunday though, so i'll have to go on saturday afterwards ok. I definatly wouldn't mind dressing as a Victorian Maid. Shame that maind costume i found ended up selling to someone else :(
You're the Christmas, promising the summer
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tender_Lumpling » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:36 pm

Sounds fun. I have bought a Victorian cape on e-bay. It will be handy for winter as it's very cold where I work. Only sad I won't have it by my birthday this Sunday.
"How I feel in my mind
And how I live in the world
They are oceans apart"
Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Next

Return to General Chat