They can't stop theatre!

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

They can't stop theatre!

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:28 pm

Hi, hope no one minds me making a new thread! I just wanted to come on and see if there were any more theatre nuts in.

I've just got back from seeing Stones in his Pockets and am in a state of awestruck wonder. It's just two guys playing all the roles and they switch from one character the next (male and female and a variety of accents) in an instant, with no costume changes or anything. It's a brilliantly written play (my sig is a quote from it) and the talent of the two actors is just astounding. If it comes near you definitely try and catch it.

(At one point one character asks another, "Are you local?" Had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. Very sad, I know.)
"How I feel in my mind
And how I live in the world
They are oceans apart"

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:41 pm

Saw Arsenic and old lace few weeks back, damn good too.

Oh and Round the Horne...revisited

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:50 pm

God I used to go to the Theatre every other week but since I finished college & finished studying Theatre, I haven't been in aaages. The last thing I caught was the Jekyll & Hyde pre-West End tour. It was pretty good, although Paul Nicholas was the weakest cast member in it.

Still. I'm going to watch Derren Brown at the Salford Quays on Monday! :D
Image Image

Aino
Local Shop Owner!

Re: Theatre

Post by Aino » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:46 pm

Tender_Lumpling wrote:I've just got back from seeing Stones in his Pockets and am in a state of awestruck wonder. It's just two guys playing all the roles and they switch from one character the next (male and female and a variety of accents) in an instant, with no costume changes or anything. It's a brilliantly written play (my sig is a quote from it) and the talent of the two actors is just astounding. If it comes near you definitely try and catch it.

(At one point one character asks another, "Are you local?" Had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. Very sad, I know.)

Ooooh! Oooh! I went to see that play last fall - TWICE! :D It was so great that I just had to see it again! Of course it was performed in Finnish but I think worked really well. 8)

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:57 pm

Yeah, I love going to the theatre. The only annoying thing about seeing really good plays is that I get stage envy. But I haven't done any kind of acting in over three years and I'm probably on par with Patsy Kensit! I'd get rotten fruit chucked at me if I went near a stage.

Aino, they were supposed to be making a film of Stones, with Dylan Moran but it seems nothing went ahead. Shame, it would have made a great film.
"How I feel in my mind
They are oceans apart"

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:13 pm

Stage envy. Yes, can definitely relate to that.
Image Image

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:46 pm

My best mate used to be into acting as well and we were always hamming it up, acting out silly characters and the like, and we had lots of in jokes that made us laugh. Sadly she's now grown up and is a serious student and I still want to act the fool. :cry:
"How I feel in my mind
They are oceans apart"

serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Post by serafina pekkala » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:23 am

I HAVE TO SEE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=12014
http://www.improbable.co.uk/show_example.asp?item_id=10

Theatre of Blood - Jim Broadbent as Lionheart!!!! Unspeakably gorgeous Rachael Stirling in her mother Diana Rigg's role of Miranda!!!! Joby doing the music!!!

F*ck Sienna Miller & teh Shearsmith !!! :lol: ... I WANNA SEE THIS!!!! How wants to go with me??

Sefi x

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:13 pm

Gah! Stop showing me things! I want to go!!!

Sometimes I wish I lived in London just for the theatres.
"How I feel in my mind
They are oceans apart"

Aino
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Aino » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:28 pm

Tender_Lumpling wrote:Aino, they were supposed to be making a film of Stones, with Dylan Moran but it seems nothing went ahead. Shame, it would have made a great film.
Aww..... crap! That would've been a brilliant film! I love Dylan Moran! 8)

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:47 pm

Me too. :) But he has another film, Tristram Shandy coming out so that's something to look forward to! Dylan plays Dr Slop and he had to learn to ride a horse for the role. He was really scared!
"How I feel in my mind
They are oceans apart"

Aino
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Aino » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:57 pm

Tender_Lumpling wrote:Me too. :) But he has another film, Tristram Shandy coming out so that's something to look forward to! Dylan plays Dr Slop and he had to learn to ride a horse for the role. He was really scared!
Well, I would be scared too! :shock: I'm not really good with horses. When I was little, I rid a pony a couple of times. That was enough excitement for a lifetime. :lol:

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:11 pm

I rode a horse a couple of times years ago and I was absolutely terrified, as well as slightly humiliated because I needed a stepladder to get on and off the bloody thing.
"How I feel in my mind
They are oceans apart"

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:21 am

Hope no one minds me dredging this back up. Just saw the Northern Ballet's Dracula last night and wondered if anyone else has seen it. I won't ramble on as I'll sound like a boring theatre geek but it is amazing (there is so much to take in, what with all the beautiful music and dancing and not to mention lusting after all the costumes!). Fantastic show anyway. A must for any Dracula fans! [/i]
"How I feel in my mind
They are oceans apart"

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:37 pm

I love going to the theatre but have never seen a ballet before. I imagine it's quite a bizarre thing to watch. Especially a Dracula one!! :shock: Sounds pretty cool though. Where was it playing?
ImageImage