Britain's 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches!

Got some hot news on the League that nobody else knows about? Well don't keep it to yourself!!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

VoodooLinzi
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by VoodooLinzi » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:47 pm

Yeah, that's right! I knew there was a Tubbs & Edward sketch in the top 5.

(I love the new sig, Kino! Very purrty)

Kino
Local Shop Owner!
Location: In Robot Hell, tormenting the damned with my up-tempo singing and dancing

Post by Kino » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:53 pm

In the top 5? That's really good! I'd forgotten where it was...

(Thanksies by the way! It's a cute picture indeed ^_^)

MrsShearsmith
Local Shop Owner!

Post by MrsShearsmith » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:55 pm

i watched it when it was on again on e4 and i think reece looked ill! you know really pale? i nearly died of embarassment cuz it was "that" one with ross n pawleen and my mum was there watching tv with me Again!! she always seems to see that sketch, never any others just that one! lol ah well!
"I do many things, I span the genres. They call me the Genre Spanner"

innocence
A Local

Post by innocence » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:06 pm

3. Tubbs and Edward (road men)
14. Papa Lazarou (The Circus is Comes to town)
23. Jobseekers (the interview)

From here

I really want to see this show again. I hadn't laughed so hard during that show as I had in ageeees. And of course, I would pay more attention to the League bits :wink:
Image Image

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:07 pm

Ah and i was just about to post up about. Nevermind. Thanks for the link though.
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:34 pm

Did anyone see the comedy moments countdown on Channel 5 last night? No League whatsoever. Gutted. And angry. :(
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:51 pm

Beast wrote:Did anyone see the comedy moments countdown on Channel 5 last night? No League whatsoever. Gutted. And angry. :(
Who did they include? If they had 'Little Britain' & 'The Office' in there but no League then I think its outrageous!

Who compiled the Top 50 moments? They should be asked how they're qualified to judge!
Have we missed the cakes?

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:01 pm

Yes Vicky Pollard was number 2 and The Office number 1. I'll let them off though cos it's my favourite moment in The Office when Keith gets his appraisal.

Apparently the public voted but how anyone found out how to do it I don't know. At least with the Channel 4 ones the polls are publicised on the website for ages so you get the chance to vote. I voted in that one so can claim some of the credit for the League getting so high! Yay!

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:37 pm

Beast wrote:Yes Vicky Pollard was number 2 and The Office number 1. I'll let them off though cos it's my favourite moment in The Office when Keith gets his appraisal.

Apparently the public voted but how anyone found out how to do it I don't know. At least with the Channel 4 ones the polls are publicised on the website for ages so you get the chance to vote. I voted in that one so can claim some of the credit for the League getting so high! Yay!
It just shows how inconsistent these public voting poll 'tops of everything' lists programmes are though. A few months ago, the League were at No.3 in the 'Top 50 Sketches' of all time & then a few months later, in a 'Top 50 Comedy Moments', they don't even appear. As you say, if the polls aren't properly publicised, it makes them pretty irrelevant anyway. Not that anyone should take them very seriously - LoG fans know that it blows 'Little Britain' out of the water & is as easily as brilliant as the best moments (& far more original & distinctive too) of 'The Office'.

Ross\'s girlfriend

Post by Ross\'s girlfriend » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:20 pm

i watched that on channel 5 last night too. i can't believe the gents didn't get in there at all. it's also a shame that the office got number 1 and the parrot sketch only made number 10 :?

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:29 pm

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer wrote:LoG fans know that it blows 'Little Britain' out of the water & is as easily as brilliant as the best moments (& far more original & distinctive too) of 'The Office'.
hear hear! I didn't even watch it, cos I turned over and wa greated by Rod Hull and emu. That 's about the quality of it!
ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:40 pm

Indeed. And we all know that Little Britain is scoring so high in these things cos it is so popular at the moment. In a few years, although I'm sure it will still be in there, it won't get so high I don't think. Nice to see Rock Profiles in there though. Thoroughly deserved.

Should have been The False Rod Hull eh T Bird?!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:47 pm

What Rock Profile moment was it?
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:50 pm

T Bird wrote: hear hear! I didn't even watch it, cos I turned over and wa greated by Rod Hull and emu. That 's about the quality of it!

EXACTLY!!!!!

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:53 pm

ratgirl wrote:What Rock Profile moment was it?
I thought it was gonna be my favourite with Shirley Bassey cos he mentionned someone being a diva in the intro to it but it was Elton John.