Britain's 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches!

Got some hot news on the League that nobody else knows about? Well don't keep it to yourself!!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Viper » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:13 pm

Pemby sort of looked like his uncle sat next to him.
Jesus Sefi- I said exactly the same thing to my husband. Only I may have used the vaguely more insulting word "Dad". Reece looked so tiny and pale- like the little vampire.

TEH SEXXXOR!!11111

And don't take it as abuse, a1- I'm sure everyone here likes Little Britain. It's just not worthy of the number one slot, by anyone's standards. And the mad Russian and the shop sketch are better than Lou and Andy- just not as popular! It really bugs me. There wouldn't even be a LB without monty Python and LOG, and both shows stand up better than LB, even now. I usually don't get worked up about these polls, but comedy is my thing, my true love, and the people that watch it are largely cool people that I like to hang out with. So what gives?
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/

serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Post by serafina pekkala » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:22 pm

Viper wrote:
Pemby sort of looked like his uncle sat next to him.
Jesus Sefi- I said exactly the same thing to my husband. Only I may have used the vaguely more insulting word "Dad". Reece looked so tiny and pale- like the little vampire.
BINGO!!! That is it exactly - the Little Vampire LOL!!!! Dad was a word i'd use but seeing as RS & SP look utterly unrelated, i thought Uncle was more suited. Reece is tiny and young looking - teh sexxxorr!!!!111 no doubt but wee and boyish too in some Manga cartoon way. The type of look that makes Japanese schoolgirls hysterical and keel-over!!!

Sefi x

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:21 pm

Reece as "The Little Vampire" (childhood flashbacks ahoy) or a Manga schoolgirl! Oh my god, that reminds me of Marianne - the alternative Ben/Dentons/Nude Day sketch.

RE: Little Britian Hating - Isn't it a national pastime now, Viper? ;) I really don't mind people saying they don't think LB should have been number one. And I totally agree with the idea that it's a fashion thing. In five years time it won't be number 1! Simple as that. What I'm sensitive about is all the "Little Britain is obviously crap" comments in a certain thread in the Other Comedy forum...
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Post by serafina pekkala » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:34 pm

a1tiptop wrote:Reece as "The Little Vampire" (childhood flashbacks ahoy) or a Manga schoolgirl! Oh my god, that reminds me of Marianne - the alternative Ben/Dentons/Nude Day sketch.
Ha!! yes - what bizarre images ... Pam Doove as an Vampire cartoon Go-Go Yubari is just tooo weird an association :lol:

'Marianne' would have been hilarious!!!

Sefi x

ihateyoumike!

Post by ihateyoumike! » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:29 pm

I can't believe Little Britain was number 1. I'm still trying to work out how the Lou & Andy swimming pool sketch is the best sketch ever in the history of British comedy. Granted, it IS funny and probably one of the best moments of the mostly mediocre/crap Little Britain. But the best sketch of all time??.....?

Does anyone else think it was weird that they singled out the 'road men' scene for Tubbs & Edward? It's funny, of course, but THE sketch is the first one. I think the first sketch is much more standalone and a lot more sketch-like. Everything after that, including the policeman scene, is development. I'm glad they made the number 3 spot! But there's no way LB should have got top. It least it wasn't 'The Only Gay In The Village', which is only funny because of what Matt Lucas wears.

misstoadfacedenton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by misstoadfacedenton » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:08 pm

YAY! ! !

didn't our favourite gentlemen do well!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

WELL DONE CHAPS! =D>

oooh and was most pleased to see R&M's masterchef in there, one of ma favourites that.

and, yay for knowing what the badge says!
i was getting a touch squinty-eyed with my mug right up againts the tv trying to read it :lol:

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:17 pm

oooh and was most pleased to see R&M's masterchef in there, one of ma favourites that.
Me too! I remember practically wetting myself when Vic first took flight. :lol:
Image Image

misstoadfacedenton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by misstoadfacedenton » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:16 pm

Bex wrote:
Me too! I remember practically wetting myself when Vic first took flight. :lol:
it's a shoe. it's a cake. it's a cakey shoe. shoe cake.

hee, and 'gentle jaaaayyyssuus' and "and i aint got time for yooooooo"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

aahhh, yes, tis sheer brillance is that masterchef sketch *sighs and smiles*

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Viper » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:18 pm

RE: Little Britian Hating - Isn't it a national pastime now, Viper?
It does seem to have become so for a number of comedy fans- but I can sort of see why. Especially thanks to the excesses of series two. But I think here it's just about the amazing amount of work and intelligence that goes into LOG, and there's maybe half that in LB, but they seem to be getting twice the credit at the moment. So obviously, that's going to rankle a bit. But for me, it's really not about hating LB, more about hating a stupid public who love LB but haven't even heard of LOG. LB is almost like an American remake of LOG, and for people to like LB more...well, it's just weird to me.

But I too was heartened to see Vic and Bob so high. The top five shouldn't have had two LB sketches in it, however. I'm curious- what are other people's personal top fives out of the nominated stuff? Have we had this discussion already? Mine would have been:

1. Argument Clinic
2. Going For An English
3. Good Aids/Bad Aids
4. Gerald the Talking Gorilla
5. Local Shop (Hey, I'm allowed ONE biased choice!)
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:01 pm

Gerald the talking Gorilla had me weeping aswell.

"Wild? I was postively livid!"

But yes, the Masterchef sketch. <3 Sheer brilliance. When I saw it for the first time I remember my laughing fit subsiding as it drew to a close before I briefly noticed Vic's index fingers were both untensils & I rupturred into hysterics again.

I can't make a top 5 list, it'd just change costantly. But the Yorkshire Men, Ministry of Silly Walks & something from Big Train would definitely be in there I think.
Image Image

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:26 am

Why the hell was the Father Ted Ted swearing at Dougal in the Eurovision episode not included? Bloody genius.
& while we're on that subject - where was "These cows are smaaall Dougal. Those, there, are faaar awayyy. Understand?"
Image Image

ihateyoumike!

Post by ihateyoumike! » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:00 am

Bex wrote:
Why the hell was the Father Ted Ted swearing at Dougal in the Eurovision episode not included? Bloody genius.
& while we're on that subject - where was "These cows are smaaall Dougal. Those, there, are faaar awayyy. Understand?"
Yeah, but these aren't sketches, just scenes in the show. I KNOW the same could be said about the League ones, but the Local Shop and Papa are basically sketches. Father Ted's one of my all-time favourites, it IS one of the greatest sitcoms ever, no question.

As for slagging off Little Britain again, I have to say I laughed more at the Two Ronnies best bits show that was on last week than I have laughed at any Little Britain episode. And it's not because I'm older, I'm 22 and don't remember the Two Ronnies when it was on. Did anyone else watch that? There were some sketches that have so obviously influenced the League. Like the Phantom Raspberry-blower sketch, the scene in the Christmas Special where Ashdown (the bear) comes to the door to Chinnery is just the same. Ashdown has the same voice as Ronnie Barker's character!! I couldn't believe it when he said 'Yeees sir?' in exactly the same way! Great comedy.

ross gaines's new profile
A Local
Location: eating fig rolls in a caravan with a dog that pisses brandy and shits fruitcakes

Post by ross gaines's new profile » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:50 am

didnt they show a scene from the movie.
"I was on a plane and this bloke said to me i think ure in my seat,i i said no this is my seat he said ok then you fly the f****** plane"

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:44 am

ihateyoumike! wrote: As for slagging off Little Britain again, I have to say I laughed more at the Two Ronnies best bits show that was on last week than I have laughed at any Little Britain episode. And it's not because I'm older, I'm 22 and don't remember the Two Ronnies when it was on. Did anyone else watch that? There were some sketches that have so obviously influenced the League. Like the Phantom Raspberry-blower sketch, the scene in the Christmas Special where Ashdown (the bear) comes to the door to Chinnery is just the same. Ashdown has the same voice as Ronnie Barker's character!! I couldn't believe it when he said 'Yeees sir?' in exactly the same way! Great comedy.
Ohh I was so glad to see the Mastermind sketch in there. That thing is genius.
Image Image

Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Stonesy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:39 pm

It was just an advert for the League of Gentlemen film this though wasn't it? It was set to come out this week. They also showed the film of Bottom afterwards (Christ I hope the League film if better than that). It has got Channel Four money in it after all. Even the greatest of League fans would not have suspected the Tubbs and Edward sketch to get in the top five and the only reason it came third was because if it beat the actual best sketch show of all time (Python although the dead parrot sketch is far from the best its the most well known) and the plebs current fave (little Britain, which I still like but Pirate Memory game is without a doubt their best sketch) it would have looked like a fix or something.