Questions about The League: Characters, Gents or Shows etc..

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Postby Papa's new wife » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 pm

Hmmm. The main road is a bit shit.
There is a small car park just down from the war memorial (I think)

If Tara (A1) is about, then ask her as she has driven and parked there.

PM her?
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 pm

Cheers, I'll do that.

Thankies! :D

If I were a moth I'd smash myself against your body.
Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:11 pm

I'm here!

Find the Masons - park in their car park if it's empty.

If not, go up the hill a bit (it's steep!) park there.

Or, find the war memorial, park on the main road which goes up the hill there - I always find spaces near the newsagent which is opposite the memorial.
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Thanks a lot! You are a star. The Masons people don't mind then...? :)

Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:57 am

Tubby Little Titwitch wrote:Thanks a lot! You are a star. The Masons people don't mind then...? :)

Depends what time of day it is. It's a tiny car park! But there's plenty of parking on the roads that come off the main high street - there's no restricted parking or anything. So don't worry about finding a space.

If you haven't been before - you may want to drive round the block once anyway and do all the sights in the car - get a feel for it. The Job Centre is unrecognisable now btw - it's flats and has a completely different outside, so it's not so obvious. But everything else is pretty much the same. It takes about 5 minutes to drive around the main circle of locations from the war memorial, up by the dentons, back down to the masons and back up the high street. You'll see where there's parking and find somewhere close to the high street to leave your car.

(anyone else feel free to jump in if you like at this point!)
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:58 am

To answer SBC's question, it's BBC 2's Inside Story series, the episode was called A Change of Sex and it was made in 1979. Here's the blurb

"This documentary charted the long, slow and frequently painful battle fought by 24-year-old transsexual George Roberts to get a sex change on the National Health Service. Director David Person shows not only the difficulties faced by Julia Grant prior to the operation, but also the complications that followed. You'll undoubtedly wince at some points, but also be moved when Julia emerges, post-operation, clearly in pain but overjoyed."

Hope that helps.
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby west_end_girl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this has been talked about before but when i was watching Film4 last night 'The Cicerones' was shown but it was called 'The Guides' does anyone know why the name change?

cheers :D
west_end_girl

Postby a1tiptop » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:35 pm

Weird! I've never seen it advertised as "The Guides" - but that is the translation of the "Cicerones" anyway. Mad though! Why not keep the proper name? Blummin' Film 4!
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:02 am

I've just found this, a page with 5 different video clips from Blue Tulip Rose Read.
I've popped it in here since we get loads of newbies asking for it, and I've never even seen it myself.
I wish I could find the entire thing.

Oh my GOD I'm terrified (and plus never EVER Let me turn into that!!!!)

http://glynnbird.blogspot.com/2007/04/blue-tulip-rose-read.html
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 pm

Oh dear GOD, that woman should be locked up. She is properly frightening, but you're right - I want to see the whole thing. I feel desperately sorry for her in a way too. I know we all joke about it, but we're not like that... :shock:

Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Juliet Bravo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Mmmm. Wonder if the gents would see a difference...!
Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Postby a1tiptop » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Kate, I'm SURE that Shaz, Liz or Sarah have got the video of the entire Tulip rose reed thing. I've certainly seen the whole thing.

I feel uncomfortable about it. Sure, Tulip is extreme to the point of psychosis, but she IS the extreme end of a fandom that most of us on here are a part of. I'm sure a lot of people think I'm a mentalist for making fan-tshirts and getting autographs at stage doors... :?
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Yeah, I feel the same actually.
And silly stuff like Husbands makes it worse.
I hope if my brain ever decided to actually vanish that my friends would get me carted off to the nearest mental hospital asap.

Before I found the net, I wore t-shirts for things, watched everything I could on my favourite shows/actors/footballers. I had posters and talked 24/7 about them. Yes I had childish fantasies of meeting them, but thank God I never actually believed that one day I would be married to Ryan Giggs.
I guess I've always been towards the extreme side, and the internet now has made it much easier to be like me.

What we have to remember is that this is how a lot of people are. Not just about a TV show, but anything.
Football fans who travel the length and breadth of the country, and abroad, who get tattoos and get into punch ups are seen as normal. It's acceptable. However, get obsessed about a TV program, wear a t-shirt, talk about it etc... then that's somehow seen as weird. When it's just the same.
The same could be said for religion. A lot of cultures have religion as THE point in someone's daily life. Everything revolves around it. Dress, marriage, food, daily tasks. Yes it's different, but not that much.

Or summat.

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Juliet Bravo wrote:Mmmm. Wonder if the gents would see a difference...!

Dear gods, I should HOPE so! I mean, if we're being proper, non-mentalist obsessos, the gents should hardly see it at all, except glimpses here and there at signings and such. (Unless they are mentalist enough themselves to read forums like this one, and in that case I'd say they get what they ask for. ;)) It's not as if we're parking ourselves outside Reece's house, shouting out the letters of his name cheerleader style! :shock:

Thanks for that link, Katie! It's quite scary.

And thank you for your last post because that's pretty much how I feel. Personally, I think fandom to the utter extreme is messed up, no matter what its focus (gods, sport, celebrities, etc.). Why should one form of obsession be better than another? I don't think fandom in general is mentalist, though (not that I'm saying you do, Katie). Making t-shirts and having fantasies and claiming forum husbands (which we all know is just silly fun), all of it is harmless fun that in no way effects the celebrity's daily life. It's just a fan showing appreciation for the person or people who have inspired them. Even going to a stage door to say a quick thank you and get an autograph, while it touches them for a moment, is perfectly normal in my book. It's not as if you're going there with a gun or sending them naked pictures of yourself or telling the tabloids that you're having the celebrity's love child. You're not moving in across the street and staking out their house, following their children to school. THAT would be mental, and I think we at this forum fall far short of that! :shock: Thank goodness!
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:45 pm

No matter what walk of life you are from or what you follow or support there is going to that extreme group of people who take it to the Nth degree..

I mean I may joke that Im an extreme and sad Doctor who fan and to a certain degree that may seem true.However there are elements of DW fandom, that treat it with reverence. You know, if something is shit, I and my friends will say its shit and laugh about it, where this extreme element will actually be disgusted that we laugh about it and lambast us for it and actually turn a bit nasty. I think when you start taking something deadly serious that is mean't to be fun, you've lost it!

As long as you can keep in your mind that its a TV show and that you can love it to death, but at the end of the day it is ONLY a TV show. You musn't lose sight of real life.

If you see what I mean!
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to Local Gossip