League Q&A on 21st Jan 2009 - Ten Year celebration

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Postby a1tiptop » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 am

Was it good? Give us all the gossip!
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Someone else will go into more detail but basically a lot of it we pretty much knew before, there was tit bits about when they were on the tour, the playing cards being swapped by Reece, the tour bus, brief talk about Pyschoville followed by a very very cool trailer for it (it does look pretty awesome). Someone asked about Papa so Reece was up doing the swagger and then the voice, Mark quipped about Doctor Who saying he would never play him as he is not 13 years old or something.

Like i say someone else will no doubt go into detail but thats what i recall. Oh Mark said that yesterday he handed his suit he wore in ART to the charity shop
You're the Christmas, promising the summer
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby TucBiscuit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Detail - I did it.
Then my internet went down and I lost the whole flipping lot.
I was so mad.

Here is a precis. I may be wrong on the clothes, I was listening rather than lusting :)
I’m happy to be corrected on any errors.

Looking at the stage, from left to right were Steve, Mark, Jeremy and Reece.

Steve was in usual causal attire. A blue check shirt and jeans from memory. He was closest to me, which pleased me.

Mark was in a suit - navy blue. He kept shifting his long legs about, crossing them over and propping them up on his lap. More of that later. He looked very dapper and had a lovely ginger beard.

Jeremy looked a little dishevelled. But when I saw him last he was in his best suit. He obviously decided to wear something where the flies zipped up this time! A green & beige striped sweatshirt with jeans I think. He has short hair at the mo, and had the most relaxed posture, sloping down into his seat which did give him a little bit of a paunch from my angle.

Reece on the end in a suit with a burgundy jumper under it. Also a tie I think.

It was good to hear the Little Mouse at Back of Stage story again, just because it so obviously cracks Reece up - still. It made me laugh just because he was laughing (as it always does on the commentary).

I asked a question. Basically I have friends “in the business” and have heard more than once their gripes that work goes to “faces”. I didn’t want the question to sound accusing, as I think the Gents are talented actors, so it was a bit wishy washy in the end. But Mark responded courteously, saying that they all appreciated what The League of Gentlemen had done for them and had had an enormous affect on their current status. And Steve alluded to the question later acknowledging that there is a lot of luck involved in the profession.

I also told them they didn’t look 10 years older (only 9, haha) and told Mark I was sorry he didn’t have his legs out. To which he responded archly, “But these ARE my legs!”

I waited afterwards in case they came out to sign. I only wanted a photo - I don’t do autographs. But when it hit 23.00 I couldn’t risk not being able to get home. Shook Steve Bendelack’s hand though - he came out early. He has certainly aged, but still has the arresting eyes. I’d be interested to know if the Gents made an appearance. Although maybe don’t tell me if it was at 23.03. There will be screaming.

By my reckoning the Q&A lasted one and a half to two hours. Bloody good value for £7.60. I would go every week if I could! In fact when I win the Lottery I’ll pay them to do a private commentary on all my DVDs. They are great value In Conversation.

Oh and did anyone else notice that the bar was hosting an Annoying People Who Don’t Know How to Behave at a Bar festival? I nipped over to the NT in the interval. Empty. Lovely.
TucBiscuit
Distant Relative

Postby Voodoo Lady » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Cheeky Chezzy Woo wrote:Mark quipped about Doctor Who saying he would never play him as he is not 13 years old or something

Fnar! I love Mark! :lol:

And TB, that gripe made by people in the biz is Universal, I'm afraid. It's so bad here that it's hard to get cast in community bloody theater if you don't know someone or aren't at least slightly famous. Forget about doing pro unless you've got a movie or three under your belt. :roll: On the other hand, it's the law of supply and demand, isn't it. People want to watch performers they are familiar with, and it pays to give the people what they want. I understand it, but as a performer, I share your friends' frustration. Having come up through the amateur ranks, I'm sure the Gents understand it, as well. Good for them being lucky enough to get their amazing talent noticed. :D
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Papa's new wife » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:31 pm

My fun last night :D
managed to get to the place at about 8pm. I stood outside for a second and squeaked as the bar at the front was in pieces. I almost hit myself for getting that date wrong, but then of course I saw the f-off massive big sign saying GO AROUND THE SIDE!
Went inside, shoved my way to the bar and did a face at someone trying to get served before me. Sorry, I needed a Guinness :twisted:
net Tracy outside, did as I said I would and had a fag in one hand and a Guinness in t'other.
Saw Rhys Thomas walk past (he is TINY :lol: )

Went inside.
sat next to two complete asshats who tried to do the Papa voice. Errr.... shut up. You can't do it.

Did big clapping when The Gents came out. Mark looked fab with his beard and of course Reece was rather yum (his hair looked great. Just going curly whirly again *sighs*). He has shiny shoes that made me giggle.
The man interviewing went through everything at breakneck speed - Mark told him off.
Jeremy got laughed at by the other Gents for suggesting they'd had to share beds... I think I should have asked Jeremy about that privately :wink:
Silly stories and a surprising amount of affection for each other. I'd thought there might be some grumping but it was all good. Even Reece was actualyl in a good mood :lol: :lol: Vic and Bob were praised. Reece said how on Catterick he'd tried to tell them just how amazing and how they'd changed comedy, but Bob had just shrugged and not really realised.

Next came the questions.
Oh dear GOD! Hasn't ANYONE listened to the commentary? Asshats asking about how Papa came about, asking how the Gents met. I mean FFS! Mark even said to one of the questions that the person should have known the answer.

There was a clip of Psychoville and ..... well HUSBAAAAAAAAAAAND!!! I shall go claim Clown Reece right now.
It did look like it had a lot of potential. Whether it makes me dance I'll have to wait and see. I guess I'm nervous because it's only half the Gents and I so want this to work for Reece and Steve. *crosses fingers like Tubbs* And I want to see it right now. Honestly, I needed to reignite my Reece lustng because I have been bad and been focussed on some other gentlemen who Time Travel... hmmmm

Waited for blooming ages to say hey to The Getns. I was about to go when their PA came out and said she'd get them to say hello.

Said hey to Steve first, he was his usual lovely smily self. Then Reece and I was very cool and tried not to be girly. Then Jeremy and listened to him saying he's just done another book. YAY!
Said hey to Marka nd I told him I loved his beard. He said he was thinking of keeping it and I agreed with him. Did I ever mention I have a beard fetish? :wink:
Got Tracy to try to take a photo of me and Reece.... it's a video by mistake ahahahaaaaaaaa.

Twas a good enjoyable night, just sadly the quality of the audience let it down. I wish there had been more knowledgable fans there so the Gents could have been asked new things.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:.... it's a video by mistake ahahahaaaaaaaa.

I want to seeeeee!

Honestly, how cool is that? Makes me want to turn it into a trend, asking people to pose for a photo, but really be videoing. You could get the whole moment on camera, the approach, the request, the star agreeing, turning to face the photographer, getting in position, the pose, holding the pose, and then breaking away with a quick "thank you". Just fake taking the pic and tell them that you prefer not to use the flash as it washes everything out. :lol:
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 pm

(I HAVE POSTED THIS 8 TIMES!!! grrrrrrrr)

It is now the LAW to have videos with shelabtraties!!!

Reece mentioned a website, a rather infamous one ahahahaaaaaaaaaa
You know, the one about two women and a drinking utensil? AHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I SO would love a reaction video of them 4 watching it :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:It is now the LAW to have videos with shelabtraties!!!

NEW GUIDELINE! :lol:

Reece mentioned a website, a rather infamous one ahahahaaaaaaaaaa
You know, the one about two women and a drinking utensil? AHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I SO would love a reaction video of them 4 watching it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I are ignorant. :oops: I'm almost afraid to be made not ignorant. :lol:
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:14 pm

Sending PM cos I don't want to name the specific website and have pervs brought here ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:41 pm

God, I wish I could have gone to this! I had tickets and everything but I had to work! Sounds like you had an amazing time but it's a shame the audience didn't seem to be fans at all. Weird.

Kate - PM me the website too? ;-)
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:19 pm

I feel like I didn't even know this was happening but I think I must just have forgotten about it since attending was not possible. So jel of you guys. Glad you had much fun!
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby MrsBeasley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 pm

a1tiptop wrote:Kate - PM me the website too? ;-)

If its what I think it is - you don't want to see. TRUST ME.
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 pm

a1tiptop wrote:God, I wish I could have gone to this! I had tickets and everything but I had to work! Sounds like you had an amazing time but it's a shame the audience didn't seem to be fans at all. Weird.

I wish I'd known you weren't going - then I could have asked Nat for your ticket! :P
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby mama lazarou » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 pm

MrsBeasley wrote:
a1tiptop wrote:Kate - PM me the website too? ;-)

If its what I think it is - you don't want to see. TRUST ME.

i think I know what it is. I've never seen it and I don't think I want to!
mama lazarou
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tracy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Voodoo Lady wrote:
Papa's new wife wrote:.... it's a video by mistake ahahahaaaaaaaa.

I want to seeeeee!

Honestly, how cool is that? Makes me want to turn it into a trend, asking people to pose for a photo, but really be videoing. You could get the whole moment on camera, the approach, the request, the star agreeing, turning to face the photographer, getting in position, the pose, holding the pose, and then breaking away with a quick "thank you". Just fake taking the pic and tell them that you prefer not to use the flash as it washes everything out. :lol:

Of course, I *meant* to take a video clip, not a photo... 8) :wink:

Anyhoo... re *that* (in)famous video... I tried to watch it... I lasted about 15 seconds. I have seen videos of people watching it. Their reactions are hilarious! There's actually an ep of 'Rudetube' somewhere (on one of the online players, might be Ch5) that shows some of the reactions.

Oh yeah, at the thing, I touched Mark's beard. Aaahahaaa! To be fair, I *did* ask first ('I like your beard', 'thank you', 'can I touch it?', 'if you like', *strokes Mark's left cheek* 'lovely', 'it's only hair', 'I know!' :lol:)

I am not weird. Even though Mark is now probably convinced otherwise.

And Steve remembered me! :D He signed my book, and remembered the "Tracy without an 'e'" that I always say (not just to him... I have to say that at least once a day anyway in some phonecall or other)... then said 'I've put love in now' ... I didn't understand at the time what he meant, but then when I looked at the book afterwards it has... bugger it I'll scan it... *waits*

*sigh*

Oh, and before the Gents came out, Steve Bendelack appeared... I wouldn't say I pounced, but I moved pretty quickly, having never met him in the flesh before. He signed the back page of my book and flashed the most lovely smile. His. Eyes. Are. Amazing. No one but Steve could have played Jed Hunter (Ned Huntum?) :lol:

Sometimes my Gent-love starts to fade... but then something like this happens (ie they don't think of themselves as 'untouchabletvandmoviestardontevenbreatheonme' types and I remember what it was about them that I fell in strange-creepy-love with.

*sigh*

Uh-oh... I am starting to see me how they must see me... *crawls into deep hole in ground*

:oops: :lol:
ImageImageImage
Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to Local Gossip