I would like to thank the Gents for....

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Postby Pam Doove: Olivier winner » Mon May 12, 2008 9:46 pm

What can I say that hasn't already been said about the gents and their work. The fact that all these years later this forum is still going strong and people are joining long after the series have finished just prove how timeless and talented they are.
Also without them the forums wouldn't have existed and I wouldn't have met such an amazing group of people and consider the ones I have met so far to be some of my closest friends. I'll be going to my first Edinburgh festival this year and will be going with people that I have met on here and through league events.
Spare not the women, harvest them like tin.
Pam Doove: Olivier winner
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Tracy » Tue May 13, 2008 12:04 am

I can't believe the Forum's birthday wasn't in the birthday list! :shock:

It is now! :D
ImageImageImage
Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Tue May 13, 2008 12:21 am

God how rubbish am I? Right, I shall write some stuff.

1. I'd like to thank the Gents for making the type of comedy that I REALLY love. That's made me laugh so so hard for so many years. That's made me start laughing out of the blue as I'm walking along the street or on the bus. Just because someone said 'local' or there was a butchers. Or someone had a club shoe. *still laughs at club shoes*

2. Thank you for getting me out the house and actually exploring the country.
I;d never have visited Derbyshire or Huddersfield (actually... not a big loss :wink: ).

3. Thank you for Reece. And his utter sexmoness. Many years of flicking myself off happily because of his quite unbelievable yumminess.

4. Thank you for my friends. I've met so so SO many wonderful people from here because of The Gents. I count so many people on here as my closest friends. I'd never had many female friends before, I'd found it easier to be friends with blokes because I loved footie and watching films about shooting stuff. This place brought me all you lot.
It is weird, but I'd never sat up all night with other girls squealing over filth. My life is so much better since I joined here *group hug*

5. Thank you for Mr Tennant. Met him by accident at Gents thing and fancied him right off. And ohhhh do I love him so. Got me back into Sci-Fi in a big way.

6. John Barrowman. Mmmmmmmm. Yum - no Gents, no forum, no being made to adore Teh Barrowman. And Ianto. Torchwood, PROBE (ahahahahaaaaaa), no meeting Peter Davison.

7. I only watched Spaced cos it had Reece in it. No Spaced, no Shaun of the Dead. How rubbish would that be?

In short, The Gents have made me happy. I'd have been so lonely in London by myself, actually I'd probably never have left my Dad's place. I'd be on my own in Sussex. Actually I'd probably have topped myself (truth)

I love you all so sooooooooo much (Yes soppy moment)
And loads of stuff like probably no Life on Mars, no being back into Comedy and Horror in a huge way, no dressing up as a black and white Minstrel.
Plus I wouldn't have my Myspace friends that I have now. And apart from the odd shit bag, they are hugely special to me as well.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Doctor X » Fri May 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Greetings from a Newbie!

I lurked, but did not join until I obtained a copy of the Apocalypse movie to avoid "spoilers."

I think the one major thing that made me a Gents fan--aside from the willingness to do absurd black comedy--was that the actors act. Over here, it is a "comic actor who plays ______." With The League of Gentlemen, it seems as if each character is a real character rather than, say, a "Reese Character" or a "Mark" character.

Best,

--J.D.
Doctor X

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Hiya!

Welcome to the Pleasuredome!

Why not go on over to Newbie thread in General Chat and tell us all about yourself! We would love to get to know you!
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby serafina pekkala » Fri May 30, 2008 6:54 pm

I would like to thank the Gents for:

- Good telly. Nuff said. :)

- This community. Although I get busy (not in that way ...:) ) i come back and can always laugh cos the banter is good. More than good - often comedic genius! And there is always a place to share whatever and get decent feedback.

- And for helping me come into contact with some superb, funny and delightful people. Some people are simply good, valuable friends and trust them implicitly. Some of you I haven't met but know I would like very much too.

Cheers, dudes! My cylon heart is slightly lukewarm now. ;)

Sefi x
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Postby Beast » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:41 pm

*Only just finds this thread :roll: *

Yeah, I'm going to be echoey too.

TLOG was one of my first obsessions too and therefore helped make me the way I am. And I got obsessed because of its utter never-dipping quality throughout every single Gents thing. I was astounded and blown away by the acting and still am. And yes, they made comedy evolve and as a connoisseur, I (and the rest of the World!) have to be really grateful for that. I had seen Spaced but appearances by the Gents (as well as my flatmates new obsession with it) made me want to rewatch it and from there SOTD and Hot Fuzz as people have said. The best British films for years and years! Other stuff starring the Gents introduced me to others from the comedy scene and expanded my comedy experiences. (I sound so stupid but you know what I mean! :lol: )

But most of all, this place. I'd never joined a forum before but had the need to find likeminded people to appreciate TLOG with. I never in a million years expected to find a community of friends who I could discuss anything and everything with. It's so good to talk with other such lusty, excitable and obsessive people and be stupid and silly and make each other laugh. This place brightened up my life and I really think I'll never leave! It was also the catalyst for me going to Hadfield which I probably would never have done alone. I look forward to meeting you all again and getting to know you even more. I don't think there is another place like this in the whole world!
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: I would like to thank the Gents for....

Postby IrisKrell » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Great thread!

I want to thank them for being so inspirational.. none of them are from posh/privileged backgrounds and look at what they've done! They've given me hope that I can do good things with my life :D
IrisKrell
Outsider

Re: I would like to thank the Gents for....

Postby BabaLazarou » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:04 pm

So far (as I am sure there will be many more ocasions for thanking in the future), I would like to thank the gents for -

1) Helping me find inspiration in my surroundings. Watching LOG has really highlighted how exceptionally odd and interesting a lot of people I know are, even though I hate some of them.
2) Inspiring me to take up acting, making more art, & start writing my own scripts and things. Anything to get the creative juices flowing!
3) Making me laugh.
4) Getting me into & appreciating old horror movies. Yes, old films are actually better than a lot of the shit they show today.
5) Both Psychoville and the show itself. They have claimed a place in my life and I am proud to have them there.
6) Reece. Admittedly he is scary sometimes, but his characters are brilliant, and he is an amazing actor. (god damnit I wish I could have seen him in Ghost Stories, but I'm too far away from LONDONNN! to just pop down there)
You can trade your gloom
For a rubber room
And injections twice a day!
BabaLazarou
Distant Relative

Previous

Return to Local Gossip