New DVD out with Commentary by League of Gentlemen

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

New DVD out with Commentary by League of Gentlemen

Postby Stonesy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:36 am

Hello.
Don't know if anyones mentioned this but;
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56192
Hidden amongst that lot is that "Blood on Satans Claw" has a commetary by three quarters of The League of Gentlemen. If it was up to me all films would have a commentary by The League of Gentlemen.
Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Postby a1tiptop » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:45 am

Wow! I was going to get that anyway. Had no idea it had a commentary by the Gents!

Did you buy the Amicus box set, in a similar coffin-shaped box? Bloody brilliant stuff.

Thanks for this info, Stonesy!
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Stonesy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:18 pm

I didn't get the Amicus one but I saw it, I had most of the films already, this one I've only got Witchfinder General. Amicus generally made fair to middling films whereas Tigon made either really great or really awful ones that are always entertaining. Its the commentary by the League has sold me on it though.
Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Re: New DVD out with Commentary by League of Gentlemen

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:48 pm

Stonesy wrote:If it was up to me all films would have a commentary by The League of Gentlemen.

I couldn't agree more!
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:59 pm

Witchfinder General is great, I've The Beast in the Cellar, which is rather crap to be honest, but it's got these two old women like Vinnie and Reenie, plus there's a 'David'.

Why no Steve on the commentary?

(Am probably going to buy this, I am that sad)
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby serafina pekkala » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:04 am

a1tiptop wrote:Did you buy the Amicus box set, in a similar coffin-shaped box? Bloody brilliant stuff.

Yeah i got that ... and now i'm gonna have to get the other one too. i love Witchfinder General - i first saw it when i was about 11 and was genuinely freaked. Well being a witch, i would be wouldn't i??

I want the Gents to do a commentary to Theatre of Blood - that would be so f*cking cool!!!

Sefi x
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Postby Jack G_TOLF » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 am

OK sorry to go off topic a bit but for someone whos seen very few horror movies (after the shinning, jaws and the sixth sense i'm scraping the barrel for ones i've seen) but loves the influences the genre has on the league what films can you recomend?

I watched tales from behind the crypt on the tlog xmas special and felt overwhelmed and didn't know where to start for watching these films. So recomend at will, i suppose i should watch the wicker man first? :oops: Hey i feel so uncultured.
Jack G_TOLF

Postby Stonesy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:28 am

Well in terms of British horror films;
The Wicker Man is great, but its more like a incredibly clever send up of horror films than anything else. Same with Theatre of Blood. If you watch them and expect all horror films to be like that you'll be disapointed. You could do worse than start with one of the Hammer Dracula or Frankenstein films. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell would be the one I'd pick.
Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Postby serafina pekkala » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:28 am

Stonesy is yer man for this - he is the horror king!!

The Wicker man is a good place to start - but i recommend Don't Look Now first cos it is probably more accessible. It is scary at times and has a rather dated sex scene in it. Even so it is a fabulous film - Julie Christie's boney spine nodules aside (more pasta for madame i think - she is so thin!).

I'm still looking for red boots like Julie's - my quest never ends. They are the coolest boots ever.

Sefi x
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Postby Stonesy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:34 am

Aye Don't Look Now, again, is great but its more of an Italian art house films than a horror film. Part of the point of all these ones that are known as GREAT WORKS OF ART, is that they aren't like anything else. I'd say get to know the run of the mill stuff, your Draculas, your Horror Expresses first. IS there a thread on here where it tells you what films are on the telly? You get at least one horror film on a month on normal telly.

Also;
http://www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk/films.shtml
quite a good guide for quicknesses sake. But there's a lot of them.
Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Papa's new wife » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:14 pm

I've been watching Horror films since I was quite young. I started out with some truely truely crap ones. Then when I was about 13/14 I got a TV in my bedroom and could watch all the Hammer Horrors. A lot you may not like, but there are some great ones. Go on Stonesy's link. Chose some at random and get them from your Video shop or library.
I tend to watch anything with Christopher Lee, Vincent Price and Peter Cushing in them.
If you want really really scary stuff, with not huge amounts of gore, but more psychological stuff, then Asian films are brilliant. Ringu etc....
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:08 am

You do realise that I'm trying to save for a mortgage and giving me bits of information like this doesn't help as I will have to go and buy it as I have no will power whatsoever!!!
But I'm sure I'll thank you in the long run. Really what to here about Mr kipling and Frank and Betty. Will be weird having no Pemby there though. :?
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Stonesy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:14 am

You could try winning on the horses as I did. I got the Tigon boxset yesterday and the commentary is bloody funny. I wish they'd also did one for Virgin Witch. If there is a worse film in existence I'll eat my hat.

PS re horror films you should watch. If you liked Shaun of the Dead you have to get copies of George Romeros zombie films, Night of the living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

PPS, there is also a little interview with Jeremy Dyson and Mark Gattis from the set of the film Gattis has got one of his film costumes on. This is also good as it tells you how much they 'just nicked' off Blood on Satans Claw. It is quite a bit. I haven't seen BoSC since I was about twelve so didn't click on untill I saw it again.
Also, if you see Mark Gattis tell him the Tyne Tees horror film spot was called Fear on Friday not Appointment with Fear. I'm sure he'll love to know that.
Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Morti » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:23 am

If anyone has Sky, watch the Horror Channel - loads of dodgy/funny/dated films on there for your consumption!:D
Revenge is better than Christmas...

"I'm lying there thinking: 'Will this pleasure never end?'"
Morti
Local Shop Owner!

Location: The place they eat their dead...also known as Nottingham.

Postby serafina pekkala » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:31 am

Stonesy wrote:Also, if you see Mark Gattis tell him the Tyne Tees horror film spot was called Fear on Friday not Appointment with Fear. I'm sure he'll love to know that.

haha - maybe you should e-mail him and CORRECT** him ...

Sefi x

** Shining ref there for non-horrorbies
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Next

Return to Local Gossip